Philosophy and Ethics

Philosophy and Ethics

Examining board: OCR

God the greatest thing imaginable? Do humans have a soul? What happens when we die? Does an embryo have a right to life? Is planet earth a living organism? These are some of the questions A Level students of religion, philosophy and ethics discuss on the two-year course.

Philosophy and Ethics students will need to remain open-minded and be prepared to research independently, to critically analyse texts and the ideas of the key thinkers. They will learn how to structure their arguments in writing and how to actively engage with philosophical thinking during class discussions and debates.

Specification units

Philosophy of Religion
Ancient philosophical influences

Religion and Ethics:
Normative ethical theories

Developments in Religious Thought:
Religious beliefs, values and teachings, their interconnections and how they vary historically and in the contemporary world

ASSESSMENT

At AS level, there are three written one hour papers covering each topic. Each paper is worth 60 marks.
To achieve the full A level, students take three further two hour written papers on each topic. Each paper is worth 120 marks. There are six papers in total.

Philosophy is a dynamic and active subject. Students of philosophy will be coached in the art of practising philosophy through group and individual inquiry.

Students will learn to explore theories and ideas through mind-maps, charts, flow diagrams, pair discussion, group debate, critical reading of books, articles, film, lectures and critical analysis.

They will be taught reading, academic writing and research skills and shown how to structure arguments and present a case verbally and in writing. Most importantly, students of philosophy will have fun!

Career Opportunities
A course in Philosophy and Ethics is highly valued by universities and employers. The course equips students to think independently and collaboratively and to develop reasoning skills.

A Quote from Stover

The School has taught all 3 of my daughters how to learn with enjoyment.

Year 11 Parent

did you know?

97%
PASS RATE at A Level
97%
PASS RATE at A Level
97%
PASS RATE at A Level
97%
PASS RATE at A Level
97%
PASS RATE at A Level
97%
PASS RATE at A Level
97%
PASS RATE at A Level
97%
PASS RATE at A Level
97%
PASS RATE at A Level
97%
PASS RATE at A Level