Media Elements

History

From early beginnings as the Chestnut School in Newton Abbot in the late 1920s, Stover School was founded on its present site in 1932 by Mrs Joan Key (née Dence). The 64 acre site comprises the core of Stover Park, the historic estate of the Templer family from the 18C. The estate was acquired by the XI Duke of Somerset in 1829, remaining in the Seymour family until its sale after the Great War in 1921.

Through the generosity of the Key family, the school became an educational Trust and a company limited by guarantee in 1956. The Key family have continued to take a close interest in the school since that time, with two family members serving on the Board of Governors today.

Until 1994 the school was a day and boarding school for girls aged 11 – 18 years. A Nursery was opened in 1994 and a Junior School for girls the following year. Junior aged boys were admitted in 2002, originally being taught in parallel classes to the girls. Since then, boys have been progressively assimilated into the Senior School, so that, today, both the Preparatory School and the Senior School are almost fully co-educational. A new Boarding House for boys has recently been constructed.

Class sizes are modest and education standards high. The school also has a long standing reputation for excellence in music, drama and the expressive arts. Increased pupil numbers since the admission of boys have prompted the expansion of other facilities at the school in recent years. These have included a new Art and Photography Block, a new Science and Mathematics Building and campus wide expansion in ICT facilities and other modern technologies . Outside, a short course golf course, additional playing fields, cricket squares, a covered tennis court and a new sports pavilion with changing rooms have created greater opportunities for competitive sport and leisure. 

The school celebrates its 80th Jubilee in 2012 and looks forward to an exciting future, whist reflecting on its proud heritage of past years.